Managing social media communities is a daunting task – I should know. I’ve managed social media communities of varying sizes for various different brands everyday for the past three years. Some, are easier than others. Some, require significantly more work than others. However, all of them (generally) can be managed with a few general rules of thumb.
If you’re looking for a quick and dirty daily “to-do” list of items, as well as a few guiding principles, I’ve compiled a few below.
Note: Facebook and Twitter only below, other platforms to come later.
General Rules and Guidelines
- Post content that is relevant to your community
- Respond to all comments that deserve a response
- Respond to all private messages
- Mention people by name wherever possible
- A “like” or a “favorite” go a long way
- Know what’s in the news
- Comment on current events, if they are relevant to your community
- Share other peoples content as much as you promote your own content
- If you’re not on Facebook, you’re missing an opportunity.
- The average life span of a Facebook post is approximately 2 hours.
- Whenever you can, respond to people’s comments by typing @ and then their name. This will send them a notification that you have responded.
- Visual content (pictures and video) is generally best on Facebook. Avoid text only status updates as they tend to get ignored.
- Video is king
- Check “Notifications” tab and take action where appropriate
- Reply to new comments on your past posts
- “Like” content posted by influencer;s and fans
- Look at the trending topics. Join the conversation, if it’s relevant to your community
- Twitter is the only platform where it is generally acceptable to reach out directly to people who have no idea who you or your brand are. Use this to your advantage. Don’t be afraid to start conversations with people or to be the conversation initiator.
- The average life span of a Tweet is approximately 7 minutes. The sooner you can respond to replies or @mentions the better.
- Check notifications
- Reply to any @Tweets, if appropriate
- Retweet / Favorite Influencer’s content
- Check activity on relevant Hashtags
- Retweet / Favorite as appropriate
- Check trending hashtags for conversations to join